Sunday, January 20, 2013

Beer is the devil

So, last night I decided to go up to the local watering hole with some friends and hear another friends band play.  I had just finished my workout and my blog and was feeling pretty good (maybe that endorphin rush I've been hearing so much about is finally starting to happen).  I showered, did my hair and make up, and out the door I went.

My oldest friends will tell you that I used to drink.  Not excessively or anything, but on the weekends I was known to hit the Moose lodge and throw back some drinks.  Sadly, after the unfortunate incident where I was roofied at the gay bar on my 39th birthday (I soooo wish I was kidding about that) I pretty much lost my taste for alcohol.  The occasions where I actually get drunk or even a buzz have been few and far between ever since.  In fact, I could probably count them on one hand.

But last night, I was feeling good.  And because I was responsible for just myself for a change, I decided to have a beer or two.  Which quickly turned into five or six.  And given the fact that I rarely ever drink anymore and that the size of my stomach has shrunk somewhat, that was all it took.

Let me tell you what beer can do for you.  It can make you think you're a regular dancing queen, which, in retrospect, isn't such a bad thing.  I was sweating like a mofo and busting out moves I didn't even know I had.

Let me tell you a few other things beer will do for you.  It will cause you to stay out way past your bedtime.  It will also cause you to eat things you shouldn't in the wee hours of the morning.  And, it will cause you to drink more beer.

Beer will cause you to be a complete slug the day after you drink it.  It will cause your feet and ankles to swell.  And once you finally do drag your lazy ass off the couch to do your workout, you will not feel as good about it as you might have had you not overindulged in beer to start with (not to mention banana pecan pancakes complete with butter and syrup at 2:30 a.m.).  Did I neglect to mention how much worse you stink as you're sweating the beer out as you're working out?

Even though I did not have the traditional hangover that I usually associate with a night of tying one on, I do not, in any way, shape or form, consider myself lucky.  Still, maybe I'm paying closer attention to what my body is telling me these days.  Either way, I've had my couple of days of fun and now it's time to get back on the diet and exercise wagon I've so gracelessly taken a tumble off of.  Tomorrow is a new day.

I can tell you, though, it'll be a few days before I get on those scales again!

No comments:

Post a Comment